Legislative Update: 5/22/23
- ICYMI: FSC filed a lawsuit in federal court on May 3 challenging Utah’s unconstitutional age verification mandate.
- Virginia‘s age verification mandate was signed into law on 5/12. It takes effect on July 1st, 2023. We’ve already launched a landing page to inform blocked users about their state’s new law. Our Louisiana and Utah pages have already resulted in hundreds of messages to legislators in those states.
- Montana‘s bill was sent for the Governor’s signature on 5/9. It will take effect on January 1, 2024.
- Louisiana’s update to their current age verification law is expected to pass this week. It will allow the Louisiana attorney general to investigate adult websites that do not perform age verification, give them 30 days to implement it, and fine them if they do not. It is likely to take effect on August 1, 2023.
- New bills were introduced in Alabama and North Carolina.
Last week, FSC returned to Washington D.C. to continue the fight against the banking discrimination faced by businesses and individuals in the adult industry. The trip was even more successful than our first visit in December and we’re very excited about the momentum we’re building on this issue.